Vienna DeMarco

Vienna DeMarco

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Subtraction and Addition




            Not wishing to intrude on our quick honeymoon, Odie spent some time in Mother’s old room. I’m not sure if she simply enjoyed the comfortable bed or admired the only photograph we had of her father. All I know is that she stayed in there until the evening.



            I had forgotten about her birthday with all of the other events taking place that day.



            It was fortunate that I had not yet gone to bed before she aged. Mother could not have been there to see her become a young adult, so I needed to be present.



            I was proud of my younger sister. She had overcome many things in her life and made it out decently. Her grades were even at a respectable B.



            “So what are your plans now Odie? Launching any international investigations on the malamutes now that you’re an adult?”
Odie scoffed and then refused to meet my eyes. “The malamutes were never the problem; they were set up by some rogue bullfrogs. You’d know that if you ever paid attention to me anymore.”
“I’m sorry,” I automatically apologized before feeling the sting of her words. Had I really not been present for her? “Life has been…” I trailed off, not knowing what word would describe it best.



            “Yeah, I know. You’ve got your own things to do, like with this little one.”
“Maybe we could take a trip together after they’re born. I have too much vacation time.”
“Nah, I’m going to be pretty busy. Brandon’s letting me move in with his family, help protect them from those freaking frogs and whatever.”
“You’re not staying?”



            Odie pulled me into a hug, and for the first time, I felt as though I were the younger sister. I’d always imagined she would spend her life in the house with me. To be honest, I was unsure whether or not she was qualified to care for herself. I told her that she was welcome to stay. I hoped that she would, but she assured me that her mind was set to move in with the boy she met at prom.



            “And I don’t want to see you like this,” she quietly muttered before leaving.



            Kyle had long ago gone to bed.



            I stood alone, not fully believing Odessa was gone. “Why couldn’t you have picked a man like Brandon? He’s almost attractive by my standards.
“Mother,” I sighed, feeling as vulnerable as I had the night of the burglar. “Are my decisions all mistakes?”
Well yeah, look at that lug you got hitched to.



            By morning, I felt better. Kyle reminded me of how sweet he could be, making breakfast and rubbing my stomach.



            We were going for a walk around the yard when I felt the first signs of labor. He began to throw a panic fit, yelling that we needed an ambulance or the police. “Please calm done, my body was designed for childbirth; I am sure everything will be alright.” He continued shouting. I had to request that he return to the house.



            As soon as he could no longer see me, I allowed my mask to break and to really express the pain I was in.



            Milton was soon born. I nearly had a full minute to admire my son.



            And then the pain returned with fury.



            Lois joined her already screaming brother.



            After feeding the twin babies and getting them to shelter inside the house, I sought out Kyle. There was only a fifty percent chance that those two little lives owed thanks to him, but he would be the one to raise them. I had my mind set to give him at least one child I could be positive was his.



            And, for career purposes, it would be easier for me to have all my children in a block.

6 comments:

  1. I cant wait see them age up :)

    There will be a new baby in my Chapter 13 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's their birthday in game, but I have to finish working on their house. Blah, I'm a terrible builder.

      Ooo, new baby! I still say Erin will be pretty hard to beat though.

      Delete
    2. :O I was not expecting that! I'v had to rewrite chapter 13 while getting pictures for it!!! Does it ever annoy you when things happen in game that your not expecting?

      Delete
    3. Lately, I've mostly just been playing and then coming up with some sort of story afterwards. I used to write first, but then I found myself too stuck with using poses and they slow down my game pretty badly. I do enjoy reading stories with them though; they look so nice.

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see what the babies look like!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I can say is that after seeing them, I know who the daddy is.

      Delete