Vienna DeMarco

Vienna DeMarco

Monday, June 23, 2014

A Solution to a Dilemma



            Mother and an unnamed woman went back and forth at each other in my mind. If I could have shut them out, I would have. Their arguments were confusing, and, at times, painful. Mother liked to shrilly curse the woman out for ruining her life.
            My stomach lurched unexpectedly. It was good that I was in the bathroom, because I found myself having to plunge my face into the toilet bowl.



            The women went silent as I heaved. I’d never vomited before, and the experience was even more uncomfortable than I thought it would be.



            While I brushed my teeth to get the acidic taste out of my mouth, the woman addressed me. It seemed Mother left my head for a while. “Aspen, what Vienna is trying to tell you is the truth. You’re not going insane, and the curse does exist.
“That is precisely what a crazy person’s voice would tell them,” I answered after I spat.
I guess you can think whatever you want, but wouldn’t it be easier to believe me?
“You, a witch, created a curse specifically for my mother. It made her wake up in this town in a different body, where nobody had ever heard of her before. And then to give her a second go in her ‘real’ life, one of her decedents must actually be attractive. And rich. Is that what you’re telling me?”
That would be the gist of it.
“And you realize how terrible that makes you sound?”
I’m beginning to, yes.
I sighed, still feeling queasy. “Why would you do this?”
The so-called witch stopped replying. My mind felt wonderfully light.



            A strong wave of nausea woke me the next morning. I rushed to the bathroom, only to find Odie doing whatever she does. “I need the toilet for a moment.” I could barely get the words out before the vomit began to push up my throat.



            “That’s what you get for sleeping around,” Odie commented.



            “Which one is the father? Do you know?
No, I didn’t catch it.
Dammit, Witch, what good are you?
“I’m pregnant?” I asked them aloud. I had obviously known how people were created. I just had not given thought that my risky actions would lead to such a thing so soon. Some women in my situation might have felt scared about the predicament, but I could feel my eyes widen in awe. Motherhood was something I had wanted to achieve since I was a little girl.



            Finally getting away from Odie’s pestering over how I could be happy with such a thing, I went to work as normal. I nearly made it through the day before my change began. Looking forward to my childr nearly took the annoyance out of having to miss work.



            Mother barged through my happy thoughts. “Do you even know who the father is?
“No. Does that matter?”
I suppose not. You never met your Dad,” she craftily responded.



            I already loved my unborn child, and wished for them to have the best chances of success in life. Studies I’d read in high school stated that kids were overall better off having two adults in their lives. I tried to calculate out which man would technically be the father, but it was too close to know for sure.
            Did it even really matter if they were genetically related? I quickly checked off the qualities of each man, wanting to figure out which one was more qualified to take the position of father.
            Which man could I trust most to watch my child when I could return to work?



            “I had such high hopes for you, Aspen,” the witch said with weariness. “You’re still a young adult and look at all you’ve accomplished! You’re leaps and bounds ahead of Vienna.
“Yes,” I agreed.
Don’t do what you’re planning to do. You know it’s wrong to twist and manipulate people for your benefit. Don’t be your mother.
“Who are you to tell me what to do? You’ve cursed an entire family line.”
Yes, but I’ve helped you too. How do you think you got into college so fast? And how did your boss decide to give you another chance?
            I thought on her words for a few moments. Morally, yes, she was correct. It was wrong. However, it could be the only way I could secure the right loving father for my child.



            I picked up my phone and dialed Kyle’s number. After we exchanged greetings, I asked him to come over the following day under the pretense that I had a large surprise for him.
            I tried to call Dedrick next, but he did not answer. I left a voicemail.



            “You’re no better than her.



            Odie was also overly curious as to how I would solve my dilemma. She followed me around the house all night. Finally, Dedrick returned my call and agreed to meet me at a park.



            “I think he might be slightly more attractive than that blimp. I hope it’s his.” Mother chirped while I adjusted my large winter coat. Hopefully it would conceal my growing bump.



            I had to get it out immediately, ignoring the memories of our childhood friendship. “I do not wish to continue to develop our relationship. It is best if we simply return to being friends.”



            Dedrick lashed out at first.



            Then he appeared downtrodden.



            Finally, he hugged me, telling me that it was alright, because I would undoubtedly end with him. “It’s only logical,” he reasoned. We did share similar traits and past experiences.



            I was huge by the time Kyle came over the following day. It is hard to say if my stomach was the largest surprise though.



            I had not realized how much older Kyle was than me. He was still a sweet man, growing more excited with each moment he stared at my stomach. He did not even have a doubt that the baby was his. “Ew, I hope he’s not the father. It’ll be born all wrinkly and gross.



            Odie watched with contempt as Kyle told me everything would be perfect. “I’ll make sure to stick around long enough to raise him or her. We’ll be a family, if you want.”



            “Trying to eat here, people! Don’t ya know this is a dining room?”



            Kyle’s happiness confirmed that he would be the father, no matter what DNA said. Aside from the curse, which he did not need to know about, we would be a model family unit.
I cut into his happy chattering about our child and the future. “I have an idea, if you’ll indulge me. We should get married.”
“Yes! When?”
“Immediately. I do not need a ceremony, and it would make sense to take my honeymoon vacation time with my maternity leave.”



            “And I don’t have the most time to waste!” Kyle hugged me, grinning as large as I had ever seen him.



            We exchanged rings that I inexplicably found in my pocket, becoming husband and wife.



            “Hey, does he like live here now?”



            “So you married that thing?
“Yes, Mother. I am now Aspen Duvall.”
You took his last name?! How could you abandon DeMarco; it’s part of my legacy! She’s not allowed to do that, is she?
“I took his last name so that my baby will without question.”
Ah, you are a clever thing! You get that from me, you know?
The two of you are horrible people, I hope you know that. And you’re welcome, by the way, for the rings.

4 comments:

  1. Haha I love this little mental banter. It's great XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see what this baby looks like!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to see it too. Almost as badly as Jewell and Mace's kid. :3

      Delete