Vienna DeMarco

Vienna DeMarco

Friday, June 20, 2014

First Term






            Being free, I could not take a pass on living in a college dorm. Seeing my peers made me a bit nervous. They were dressed quite unprofessionally and immediately started goofing around like children. I, on the other hand, wanted nothing other than to be a serious student.




            Nobody claimed a single room on the third floor, so I grabbed it. It was so nice! The whole dormitory was, but even just my room was better than our entire house.



            I would finally know the wonders of sleeping in a double bed.



            Classes were not in session on that first day, so I decided to introduce myself to some of the people I’d be sharing living quarters with. If only to get their shocked reactions to my appearance out of the way. Life had made me move past being scared of hurtful comments, and I actually had made one or two friends back home once I started talking more.



            I was delighted when the first girl I spoke with barely even gave a grimace. And then I saw him.



            It was no wonder people were not astonished by me; there were residents who had genetics mixed with plants! I could not stop gawking with appreciation at the poor man.



            A new student mixer was announced. I decided to attend using a loaner bicycle. On the way, I passed a small grocery store that I would soon know very well, picking up fruit to eat between classes.



            The campus was breathtaking.



            At the mixer, I picked up some free goodies to take back home. I had a feeling Odie would get a kick out of kicky bag. Haha.



            Someone left their laptop unattended. I took a quick peak at it. Mother never bought a computer for the house, and the ones at school were ancient enough to take floppy disks. It only took a few minutes for me to want a laptop.



            I went back to the dorm and stepped into the mothering role to which I was accustomed. Maybe my dorm-mates would like me better if I helped to keep their stomachs full.



            I’d never used a stove before. My first attempt at macaroni and cheese was a failure.



            A failure that was immediately consumed.



            My second attempt showed much improvement.



            The bathrooms were communal and coed. I’d overheard some students complaining about them, but I braved the showers. What was there to hide about one’s body?



            Cleaned and fed, I slipped into my wonderfully large bed, excited to start my first day of a heavy course load.













            I enrolled for two terms with the maximum amount of credits they allowed me to take. As I said, I was a serious student, ready to earn my degree. And I wanted high honors again.



            Because of this, my college experience may not be as excited to tell as some others. I pursued a major in technology, hoping the station would take me back if I had an impressive degree.



            Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I was in classes all day long. I only had time to snack between them.



            And apparently not enough to even peel a banana.



            When not in class and not studying, I called Odie quite a bit. I was worried that Mother was not caring for her properly. And Kyle called me once or twice a day, checking to see how my classes were going. It was sweet.



            I enjoyed lecture days, always sitting right up front, notes and questions filling my arsenal.



            Class activities were also fun for me. Although, the brain machine was imposing at times.



            I’m trying to remember if there was anything of note that happened in my first term. Most of my rare free time was spent talking to Odie and Kyle or cleaning. College students are such slobs. How hard is it to fill a dishwasher?



            I saw numerous streakers and people close to streaking.



            Oh, and I accidentally hit a man with a Frisbee once!



            Mostly, I simply studied though.


No comments:

Post a Comment