Vienna DeMarco

Vienna DeMarco

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Last Chance



            My day off from work started with Mother’s new friend nearly attacking me.



            For once, she actually fixed a problem instead of pretending it did not exist. She didn’t get rid of the neighbor’s dog, but she did bring it outside at least.



            Another mildly surprising event happened. Odie did her homework without having to be instructed first.



            Usually I am not so silly as to take luck into a situation. That morning, though, I decided that there were enough good omens for me to have a successful date with Kyle. Successful defined as finally being kissed. We decided to meet at the festival, and I let myself have high hopes.



            I’d forgotten our first mishap with ice and invited him to skate with me. We held hands while attempting to slowly spin. We both laughed about our lack of skill compared to the braggart in the back.



            We fell more than once.



            But we both agreed it was still an enjoyable afternoon.



            I complained about my stomach growling, so Kyle took me out for dinner. The restaurant was so high-end that it required formalwear, a concept which Kyle did not appear to understand.



            I did not receive the food I ordered. I’m not sure what it was I was served. All I know was that it was much better than what I had originally wanted. And Kyle was more than pleased with the way I handled the situation. “You are one of the coolest ladies I know,” he complimented.



            With the sky darkening, I knew our date was nearly over. I went in, yet again, for a kiss. It was the last chance I was willing to give him.



            And for the first time, he didn’t pull away, even with shrimp on my breath.



            Kissing was more exciting than I thought it would be. Unfortunately, I could not further develop a taste for it, as I had work to do. After I sent Kyle away, it did not take me long to question a man and then write a report.



            I came home to Aspen wetting herself in front of the door.



            Instead of showering immediately, she sat and chatted with me while I worked from home for an hour.



            It was getting harder to sleep at night. I missed the comforts of a double bed, and I had a feeling that Mother and Odie found trouble to get into while I was out. I’d need to take on the challenge of upgrading the house soon.



            The next day I was promoted to being a wiretap reader. It was a rather large moment for me, and I wished to celebrate. Unfortunately, Kyle was busy. I did, however, get a phone call from a dear childhood friend of mine


        Dedrick invited me to his house, which I found strange since we had not spoken much as adults. I thought that maybe he wanted an apology about Kyle’s behavior at his party.



            It turned out that he had recently ended a relationship and simply wanted a friend in which to confide.



            We chatted and I remembered why we had been such good friends. Each of us came from single mother families and we both enjoyed activities that challenged the mind. And we were both haunted by the memory of Odie’s conception.



            Our catching up turned into something more. I only realized this when his arm bumped into mine, making me see that we had both been swaying toward each other.



            Despite my recent step forward with Kyle, I remained to flirt awhile longer. Maybe Kyle’s hesitance was a signal that he was not the correct man for me to be seeing.



            Before things could develop any further, I excused myself and sped all the way home.




No comments:

Post a Comment