Vienna DeMarco

Vienna DeMarco

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Doubling



            “You’ve been busy lately. I didn’t think it’d be possible for someone like you to have such an active social life.”
“Yeah Sis, where’ve ya been?”
I did not understand how what I did in my free time was their business. Anyone had a right to judge me, but I did not particularly want to hear their scorn. So, naturally, I lied. “I have taken on extra cases. I’ve simply been working.”



            I am surprised Mother even noticed my absence. For a woman who never left home, she kept busy, engrossed in her own life. Growing up, any attention from her felt like a miracle. Old age may have been changing her though. She was eighty, and could not eat snow cones as she was once able to.



            She also developed a problem with wearing clothes some days.



            Her nudity didn’t put Odie off, and she became the better daughter, spending time with Mother in her senile years. Although I still had suspicions that it was all a ruse and she was as painfully sharp as ever.



            I had my own life of which to take charge. Whenever I was not working, my phone seemed to be ringing.



            I let Dedrick convince me to join him at the festival grounds. I told myself that it was simply a friendly outing.



            I even questioned him for a report that I’d later write.



            When he suggested that we try out the love testing machine, I relented with a shrug. It was not as if it was based off any actual science, so what was the harm? After we were already gripping it, he said with a devilish smile (where had he gotten that anyways? He was such a sweet boy), “If we get a positive ranking, then we’ll have to kiss.”
“What? Why?”



            My questions came too late; the results were already decided and they were quite high. He looked surprised, and I had to explain that there was really a one-in-three chance that we’d have a positive outcome.



            It was silly, but I gave him the kiss he arbitrarily decided I owed. He deepened it, grabbing me by the hips, and it was my turn to be surprised. I hadn’t expected some animalistic nature to rise in me and to thoroughly enjoy it.



            When we broke apart, my head was metaphorically spinning. He smiled and told me that I was quite adept.



            I, once again, excused myself and ran home.



            “So who have you been fooling around with?” Mother asked while I typed my report. Work proved to get my mind away from men. My situation disturbed me. I had been under the notion that good people were satisfied with one person seeking their attention. How had I gotten two? “Oh come on, I know that look well enough! I had it enough times.”



            On the weekend, I decided to finally address a few of the house’s problems. It may have also been an excuse to stay away from Kyle and Dedrick for a while, but mostly the remodel was simply needed.



            Much of what the house needed, I wanted to put off until after Mother passed. Yes, that may sound morbid, but her large room was quite challenging to incorporate into a floor plan. I was able to expand the bathroom and kitchen, finally allowing for a proper stove.



            I also had private rooms built for Odie and me. I gave myself a proper workspace and a bookshelf for all the comics I bought in college. And I finally had my very own double bed. The first time I ran a hand along its side, an exciting image popped into my head. I wasn’t sure if it was of Kyle or Dedrick though.



            I feared what Odie would pick out in terms of style, so I chose her carpeting and wallpaper. The rest, however, I left up to her.



            Seeing the results was pleasing. I was happy to be rid of the bunk beds.



            Mother beat me to my own study, which I had to pass off with a sigh. How typical of her.



            “My room is soooo awesome! It’s got walls and stuff!” Odie cheered. It was by no means a finished product, but it’d have to do for the time being.
“You’ve got your own door if you want to lock it. It may keep the malamutes out.”





1 comment:

  1. Fave line: You've got your own door if you want to lock it. It may keep the malamutes out."

    ReplyDelete