Vienna DeMarco

Vienna DeMarco

Friday, July 11, 2014

When Planning a Party



            I had to be smart about who to invite to my birthday party. Mom used to take care of this sort of thing, but seeing as how she forgot my sisters’ day completely, I couldn’t trust her with something of that importance. I couldn’t just invite Finch. That’d be too obvious and maybe a little creepy. No, there needed to be people my own age. But not so many to cause too much distraction. Well, that and I didn’t particularly like many teenagers.



            The first few guests were easy enough. Aunt Odie and my cousins, Kylie and Greg.



            And, just to be nice, I made sure to call up Marcie. She obviously had feelings for my twin. Why? I had no idea, but she must have had a touch of insanity in her noggin.



            Freddie was clueless about her. He thought she was just the girl who watched Aubrey and Gloria a few years back. Marcie wanted to be more than that though. She even stopped homeschooling to come to our community high school senior year, specifically so that she could go with Fred. Well, she never said that, but I had my suspicions.  The way she followed him around the halls—it was actually sort of cute. But I’d never mention that out loud.
            It took some light jabbing to convince Freddie to go up and talk to her.



            When they finally got started, they didn’t stop. I think the two of them chatted each other throughout the rest of the day.



            I wanted to go back downstairs and check to see if there was any sign of Finch yet. Lois and Milton halted me though. They wanted to ask customary questions like what I planned to do and whether or not I was excited to be an adult. I humored them for a few minutes before ordering them out of my way.
            I’m sure Lois wanted me to comment on her sudden pregnancy, but that could be left to Mom. I couldn’t imagine an interesting niece or nephew coming out of her.



            Finally, Finch arrived. I felt strangely proud when I saw him carrying in a handcrafted pizza. I suppose it was as if I had picked a partner with gentlemanly qualities. He must have had his pick of women (or men) when he was in his prime.



            Finch came into the kitchen, set down his pizza, and then saw me. When our eyes met, he backed out of the house. I followed him and he ran off towards the festival grounds, pulling on his ridiculous work hat. I debated chasing him, but didn’t want to come off as clingy. Maybe the fact that he had run off was a good thing. He must have been scared of something, and that could only prove positive for me.



            Anyways, my cousin was interested in meeting me for whatever reason. I don’t really get it, but kids seem to enjoy my company. Maybe they feel victorious in pausing me from whatever scheme I have going on at the moment.



            After I got away from Greg, it was time for cake. Freddie and I had ours side by side, just like when we were kids.



            Marcie cheered so loudly for Freddie that I thought my eardrums might rupture. I’d have to remind myself to congratulate him later. Oh, and to brag about being right.



            I aged first, not really registering much of a difference between being a teen and an adult. Skipping cake, I watched dear Freddie mature. His clothes didn’t get any better.



            The first party I had ever planned was a lot more crowded than I had anticipated. I shouldn’t have been surprised; I excelled at most things that I set my mind to.



            Still, I didn’t have time to wallow in my success. I had things to do.



            First, I had to go down to city hall and get my name officially changed to DeMarco. I didn’t really care much about it. Duvall was close enough, and it wasn’t like Dad had perfectly reflected that name anyways.



            After that, I moseyed on down to the Rustler’s Den. I had dreams of money that could never be reached by just marrying one person. A job in an underground organization would help get me closer. They knew my worth immediately and I walked away with a job secured.
            Out back of my new workplace, I found that I was being watched by a set of yellow eyes. Part of me wanted to investigate. But I had one thing left to do, and it’d be best not to put it off.



            I had to see a man about why he ditched my birthday.



            Enough time had passed for it to not be completely creepy for me to see what was up. I casually approached his booth and asked why he had run off so quickly.
“I apologize for that. I needed to leave for work.”



“No worries—that’s perfectly understandable.” I wasn’t letting him get off that easy though. “Why don’t you make it up to me and come by when your shift is over?”
A frown tugged at the cavernous corners of his mouth. “I’m not sure that would be appropriate.”
“What could possibly be wrong about a friendly match of dominoes? Or maybe a couple of laps around the virtual race track?” Finch started to shake his head. “C’mon,” I continued, making sure to add a light chuckle to my words. “It’ll be fun.”
“I’m not sure I understand why a young man as yourself would want to spend time with someone like me.”
“Age doesn’t matter. What’s wrong with making a friend from another generation?” He started to say something, but I cut him off. “Are you saying I’m too young to be your friend?”
“Friend?” he asked, seemingly more to himself. “No, I suppose I am simply being bullheaded. I am not too old to go out and enjoy the company of another! I’ll visit you tonight.”
I beamed. “Great!” Hook, line, and sinker.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Francis is so interesting! I think I'm going to love his generation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am really excited about what I want to do with Francis. :)

      Delete