Vienna DeMarco

Vienna DeMarco

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Francis' Intro



            A woman I didn’t recognize was staring out a window, looking at the dark foggy world.



            I watched her back from my spot at the counter. I didn’t know where I was, but I had the feeling I wasn’t really there. Normally, my legs would have been sore from the edge pushing into them. They weren’t though, and I couldn’t even really feel my perch.



            The woman finally felt the need to turn toward me. I gave her an uncommitted glance. Sure, I didn’t know what the situation was, but I knew better than to show fear. You never show fear, to anything or anyone. To do so means to lose.
“So you’re finally here?” she asked. Her voice sounded muffled, like she was speaking through a scarf.



            I hopped down from the counter. “I assume you’re the fabled witch?”
“How’d you know?” She sounded slightly disappointed.
“Well, you certainly don’t look like you would be my grandma.”
“Looks can be deceiving,” she muttered. “Have you ever seen your grandfather?”



            “Would you mind telling me what’s going on here? Mom says that she can talk to you in her head, so I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that this empty house isn’t where we really are.”
“No, you’re in a dream. I summoned you for a little chat.” The witch sounded awfully proud of herself. I had to wonder if this was a new trick for her.
“What is this place? “



“I just told you. A dream.”
“Yeah, but you said you summoned me. This is pretty decent world building then. Bare and kind of sad, but realistic. Was this your old home or something?”
By the quick heat that flashed in her eyes, I knew I got it right.
“So what did you want to talk about?” I asked, walking past her.



            The whole house was empty, save for the most basic appliances. She obviously didn’t want me to pick up on anything too personal, which led me to think she was hiding some things. Mom said that she wasn’t completely sure why we’d been cursed in the first place. Something about my grandma using the insecurities of young girls for money and fame, but why take that so personally? It happens all the time. Look at commercials on TV for makeup, and razors, and movies, and clothes, and… well just about anything.
 When I walked into a small blue bedroom, the witch quickly stormed after me.
“We’re here to talk about you.”
“What about me?”
“Vienna chose you to be the next heir. I’m not sure you’re going to represent what I’m trying to teach her.”
“Oh my,” I said with dripping sarcasm. “Whatever could you mean by that?”
“I’ve watched you your entire life. I know that you’re evil.”
“That’s pretty mean. As my mom would say, maybe I just live by a set of morals that differ from your own.”
“You’re evil and I don’t want you getting ahead through unscrupulous means. I want heirs who are kind and smart and humble, ones that are nothing like her.”



“Well then, I guess you should have made the criteria about personality versus looks then. Maybe grandma would have wanted Freddie.”
“It was supposed to teach her a lesson!”
“I think you’re standing by convoluted reasoning that won’t teach anyone a damn thing. This curse of yours doesn’t exactly paint a pretty picture of you. Getting revenge on a single person by using their innocent descendants as pawns? If I didn’t stand to gain anything, I’d say shame on you.”
I found glee in the pure hatred that contorted her face for a few seconds. Then she wiped it blank. I found myself walking toward the front door, not completely out of my own volition, her following close behind.



            “I suppose I should thank you for taking the time out of your sleep schedule to talk with me. It was very enlightening.”
I tried to match her calm façade with a dull expression. “Anytime.”
“If you just start walking, you should return to your normal dreams in no time.”
“I’ll get right on that.”
“Oh, and Francis?”
“Yeah?”
“If you set a bad enough example, then I will find ways to punish you.” With that, she went back inside and slammed the door shut.



            I had to laugh to myself. Even without knowing the entire situation, I had clearly won. My family’s personal villain was just a stupid young girl who happened to know how to make a curse. She would soon learn of my plans to ruin her scheme, because nobody beats me.




4 comments:

  1. This is gonna be interesting! Witchie is clearly nursing some issues but she does seem to be gaining some power. I can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad it sounds like you're having fun with this. :D I know I am.

      Delete
  2. I really hope that Francis throws the biggest wrench in the witches' plans.

    ReplyDelete