Vienna DeMarco

Vienna DeMarco

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Reaching the Top



            Being children, Gloria and Aubrey could no longer sleep in cribs. Infant Central was the only area in the house large enough to incorporate two twins beds, and I did not wish to go through yet another remodel. The dividers did not provide much privacy, but at least it was something.



            My twins assured me that they did not mind sharing the space as their room.



            However, Gloria clearly did have a problem with the arrangement. Anyone carrying a conversation in the kitchen would wake her. She did not bring this problem to my attention, and so I simply pretended to have not observed it.



            Guests frequently flocked in and out of my house. The teenagers invited their peers over nearly every day. They were often quite rude to them though, leaving them out in the yard.



            I found their friends to be useful.



            My youngest girls enjoyed having their cousin over for play dates.



            Aubrey had a difficult time keeping up with the two girls.



            She preferred the company of older men. Especially the ones that Lois tried to sneak into her bedroom. Francis also found disrupting her envisions of romance to be enjoyable.



            When my house was not flooded with guests, I crowded my children into the car to return the favor to others.



            “I hope Francis doesn’t get too used to being in the backseat of a police cruiser,” the witch snidely commented. To be honest, I had had the same thought. And, by the casual way she glanced back at her brother, I knew Lois had as well.



            We decided to crowd Odie’s house for a few hours.



            I had not yet had a chance to meet my nephew, Greg.



            And then I had the pleasure of questioning his father.



            Frederick and I stayed at Odessa’s house the longest, taking part in intellectual activities.



            When we returned, I joined two of my teenagers in a video game session. Although it was enthralling to think about where they could help me reach in my career, writing reports was quite dull. Some nearly mindless entertainment made up for it nicely.



            The reports did their job and I was soon promoted to the position of Dynamic DNA Profiler. I was in complete shock (though I shouldn’t have been surprised) upon hearing that achieved my life’s dream. Not knowing what else to do, I returned home like any other day.



            As a congratulations gift, the captain rewarded me with two oil lamps out of the evidence room. They had been there since before I started as a snitch. I thanked him, despite not knowing what to do with them. They were dirty, so I simply set them out, reminding myself not to touch them. Oil stains quickly; it’d be a shame to ruin my uniform.



            I settled down to research forensics. Most of my teenagers filed through the front door, Lois taking time to loudly congratulate me. I would have appreciated it more if she had not pulled my attention from my work at hand.



            I did not notice until a few hours later that Francis had run off to the fire station yet again.



            After reaching the pinnacle of my career, I found my days to be slightly less exciting. I was a goal orientated person and no longer had promotions to be my carrot. I had to settle upon improving my already impressive skillset. Oh, and being a mother of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment