Vienna DeMarco

Vienna DeMarco

Sunday, August 3, 2014

An Answer



            I gotta say, I was a little surprised to be walking around after dying. Of course, the moment was made a little less satisfying when I saw the smug witch waiting for me at the top of some steps. It took me a minute, but I was able to place the stoop from the house in my dream. “So, what’s going on here? I thought I’d be whisked away into someone’s head the moment Grimmy flung me.”
“Your death was pretty sudden. Vienna is still deciding between your kids.” She turned away from me and made for the door. “You asked a question, and I’ve decided to give you an answer.”



            Before, the house had been unfurnished. It was still the same, except for a pair standing in the middle of what I assumed was the living room. The witch approached them. Neither moved. They didn’t blink, or flinch, and even breathe. “Go on,” she said.



            I approached the creepy still figures. It took no time for me to figure that the kid was the witch. The teenager looked related, probably.



            Before I could ask any questions, voices drifted through. They radiated off the figures, though neither moved their mouths. “What are you wearing?” a squeaky voice asked.
A different voice replied. “Do you like it? I conjured it! I got the idea from a picture I saw of Vienna in a magazine once. Cute, huh?”
“We’re not supposed to use magic! What if Dad finds out?”
“I don’t think he will, as long as you don’t say anything.” The teenager giggled excitedly. “I’ve got even bigger news too! I won the contest!”



“But what about my birthday?”
“I’m really sorry Kid, but you know I can’t pass this up. I worked so hard on the spells!”
“You cheated?”
“I had to! I’ll never get to meet Vienna any other way.”
“I don’t think she’s that great.”
“You’re just too young; you don’t get it yet. She’s so beautiful and cool. And she doesn’t care!”
The kid sighed.
“I’m really really sorry, but you know she’s my idol!”
“Fine. But you owe me.”
“Of course!”
            The voices stopped. Interesting. It was what I assumed wax museums were like. I looked to the witch, seeing if she had any explanation. She just walked into one of the bedrooms.



            The room had taken on somewhat of a tropical theme. I took to the opposite side of the witch, who groaned, “I really hate this one.”



            A voice I recognized from my head cracked from one of the immobile teens. “Who the hell are you? Is this some sort of joke?”
“Vienna! I’m one of your biggest fans. You have no idea what an inspiration you’ve been to me!”
“Someone get my manager! Tina was supposed to win this, not some dopey lowlife! This is going to ruin my shots!”
“What?”
“You weren’t supposed to win! Nobody was supposed to win this stupid thing! Why would I want to spend a day vacation with some stranger?”
“I’m sorry.”
“Don’t even talk to me! I don’t want to be seen next to something like you.”



            The talking stopped. I had a hard time keeping in a chuckle, and I’m sure my grin made it to the surface. The witch glared at me, to which all I could say was, “Well, Grandma is just as pleasant as I expected.”



            I followed the witch once again, who was storming. The other bedroom had figures as well, only this time the sounded didn’t wait. Sobbing flooded through as soon as the door was opened. We stood there for a while, watching one motionless girl trying to comfort the other. The cries got louder the longer we stood in the room.



            When the witch couldn’t take it anymore, she left. I caught up to her in the kitchen, looking over the creepy life-sized diorama. “So what am I supposed to take from this? A girl you knew, I’m guessing your sister, cheated in some contest and was the upset when her idol turned out to be a bitch? Sorry, but I’m not feeling a whole lot of sympathy.”



            “That was the last time I saw her!” she spat at me. “Your monster of a grandmother meant everything to Mira. She was teased constantly at school for being ‘ugly’ and ‘fat.’ She never used to care because someone that was better than all of the losers in our town thought she was great.” She sucked in a breath and then continued her rant. “Mira ate up Vienna’s whole little spiel on how everyone is equally valuable. She breathed that motto.”
“And that’s my problem because?”
“I should have known better! You’re just like the rest of your family. You don’t care about anyone but yourself. You don’t care about Mira!”



            The witch slapped me, allowing me to at least put on clear expression for the remainder of our visit. I had to assume that her gullible sister offed herself, and I guess that was enough reasoning for the curse. Personally, I didn’t feel all that bad for her.
            I could barely even think that with an even face. I would have destroyed anyone that had helped to hurt Freddie, and I didn’t even really like him. There was nothing I could do at that point to break the curse though. There wasn’t a point in showing yet another weakness to the damn witch, no matter if I sympathized with her. I would have to spend the remainder of the curse in someone else’s head, knowing that I was just a pawn.




No comments:

Post a Comment