Vienna DeMarco

Vienna DeMarco

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Escaping Heat


            I stuck it out alone in the mostly empty plot of land for the better part of the day. I didn’t want any eyes to see the thing I was currently residing in. It was so hot out though, and two walls just could not protect me from the clingy sweaty air. So, I decided to risk it and head out into the unfamiliar town.



            I passed by nothing but houses until I discovered a small park with a horse theme. A large building greeted me and I knew that it couldn’t possibly feel worse than outside. I was sweating profusely. Even though a man stood by the doors, I couldn’t stand another moment of the heat.



            I entered the restroom building without interruption from the man, which surprised me. Usually I received a long unfiltered look, and I expected a glare or something similar in that new face. He just pretended I didn’t exist though, which was better than some other outcomes.



            I fanned myself down in the much cooler building. It felt so good that I stopped caring if anyone would come in and bother me.



            A different man walked through the large barn doors. He went to the bathroom without a look at me, so I thought I was safe. When he came back out of the men’s room, he showed that I was mistaken.



            “What the hay are you supposed to be, freak? We don’t need none of y’all in our town,” he taunted me, laughing raucously. Meaner words had never been spoken to me. And even though I knew deep down that I was really a woman he’d never stand a chance with, it still made me feel like shit. He even scared me some, enough to run back to the shack I’d started at.



            I was exhausted from running when I returned. I wanted to sleep, but I feared seeing the undoubtedly horrible nightwear I’d possess. To put it off, I cried at the ugly form I saw in the mirror.


2 comments:

  1. Aww, despite the fact that I'd guess she's said worse to others I'm sad she's getting hated by that guy. I mean has he seen his outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me laugh so hard! I didn't even notice his Hawaiian shirt and sweatpants/capris before!

      Delete